Friday, October 26, 2007

God's secrets


I was just reading my sister Stephanie's blog post about meandering. Basically, it was about the lost childhood art of wandering and not being guilted by distractions, about enjoying the "journey." Anyway, that was a very simplistic summation of her blog entry, which was prompted by one of her friends' blog entries. So it's like a chain, because it in turn prompted this entry.
Since I moved to California, I've discovered that lost art of wandering and meandering and "doing nothing" in between my "doing somethings." Maybe it's the new environment or maybe it's living alone. Either way, I've learned to be able to just sit and watch stuff. The ocean, birds, trees, rocks, animals...anything!
At first it was hard. I got easily bored. But after about five minutes of sitting and watching the ocean, you really start to *notice* things. At first, it's all the big picture, but then your mind starts to focus on bits and pieces that are more interesting—like groups of birds, sea lions, new plants and flowers, wave patterns, noises, all sorts of things. You start to see things that aren't easily noticable. That's when I feel special that I've noticed them, like God shared a secret with me.
Sometimes I go out to watch the sunset. People come out every night to watch the sunsets along Pebble Beach Drive, which is along the coast and near my house. They are mostly elderly people though. I suppose people begin to remember how to wander, meander and enjoy the journey again when they get older. Hopefully some of us won't wait that long.
(The photo doesn't really have that much to do with my post, but I thought it was beautiful, and it's one of my favorite spots, just minutes from Crescent City.)

4 comments:

naturalmom said...

Beautiful post Laura. How lucky for you to discover this lost skill at your age.

Anonymous said...

I recognize the beautiful spot, Laura! You have indeed rediscovered something that is so worthwhile in life. Would that I had meandered more along the way. There are so many "secrets" that are there for the finding if we take the time! Someday your children will benefit from your rediscovery :-)

Mom

Victoria said...

Lovely photo. I would love to meander over to that spot, right now. =) Found you via your sister. Nice to "meet" you.

Aliki2006 said...

Nice to "meet" you too, Laura! Beautiful picture, and wonderful sentiment.